POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : understanding gamma : Re: understanding gamma Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: understanding gamma
From: Bill Hails
Date: 27 Nov 2003 03:13:25
Message: <3fc5b224@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <3fc52ebd@news.povray.org>,
>  Bill Hails <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote:
>
>> 1. When you look at an image that was generated on a different
>> system, you are at the mercy of the gamma settings of that
>> system, *unless* it is a png image, which *might* allow
>> gamma correction when you view it.
>
> Right. If it is a PNG image and the gamma information was written
> correctly, your PNG viewing software reads and uses it, and your viewing
> software is set up correctly with your system's gamma, it will display
> with the proper gamma correction. Unfortunately, it seems like at least
> one of these is usually wrong.
>

>> 2. However if you render the same image on your own system,
>> with your own Display_Gamma settings and assumed_gamma 1.0,
>> then you pretty much see what the other person saw when they
>> rendered the image.
>
> Yes.

Great, thanks.

In that case, if when someone posts an image they mention their
own gamma settings, it should be possible to calculate a gamma
setting for viewing the image locally, either my_gamma / their_gamma
or its inverse, not sure which :-), assuming a viewer
that allows a numerical setting of the gamma.

--
Bill Hails